Thursday, August 18, 2011

The X-Files… The Third Marathon, I still want to believe

Where did this come from? From the #-ness of programming languages to the X – Files. An interesting tangent, being the only topic that compelled me to pollute my blog with non programming posts.

Yes, it is my third marathon watching the entire 9 seasons since the show’s finale almost a decade ago now. This is a no trivial undertaking and surely not for the faint of heart. In this day and age of instant gratification and extreme reductionism that plagues the media – yes, I am fed up with the over simplification of all that is television these days, it is difficult to appreciate verbose dialogues and absurd intellectual jousts such as the ones that Scully and Mulder exchanged throughout the series. For me, they are pure joy and a twisted thrill. But I digress..

I decided here to share some of the memorable puns/quotes/aphorisms that I immensely enjoyed.

This one comes from season 8, episode 10 (Salvage). Mulder has been abducted as a cliff hanger from the previous season. And awaiting his Christ-like resurrection, a great actor (Robert Patrick, as agent DOGGETT) takes his place as a leading man. What an excellent choice. Many of us grew up revering him as T – 1000 from Terminator II. The very reference to which (i.e. his role as the liquid metal menace from the future) is very clear in this piece of dialogue:

“(to Scully on the phone): What are you saying? Ray Pearce has become some kind of metal man? Because that only happens in the movies, Agent Scully”

I just loved the series with all the idiosyncrasies and the Orwellian overtones that flavoured every single Mulder-ian retort!

The truth is out there.

No comments:

Post a Comment